Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The big day

Joey asked me if he could write a blog about the day that Kayleigh was born, so here it is! 
The "before" picture

Very early in the morning on 12/27/2011 Lindsey’s pregnancy was induced due to sweet Kayleigh just not wanting to leave the comfort of Mom’s womb. Lindsey and I have been married for about two and a half years and have been together for over six.  I know how strong Lindsey is, but her strength and courage was exemplified throughout the entire labor process. Lindsey was in labor for roughly twenty-three hours and pushed for over three hours. In the end, Kayleigh’s head was just too big to come into this world naturally and Lindsey was beyond exhausted. 

At approximately 5:00am on 12/28/11 Lindsey was prepped for a C-section and at 5:21am our beautiful Kayleigh Renee Olsen was born. It was surreal and that is the only word I can use to describe this event. For those of you with children I imagine you know what I am talking about and for those of you without, I cannot wait for this moment for you!

I remember hearing that first cry from our little girl and my heart leapt for joy and I couldn’t help but cry. I walked over to Kayleigh and cut her chord thus breaking the life support given from Lindsey and now Kayleigh was on her own and with us. I held Kayleigh’s hand and could not stop talking to her. The most amazing realization was that Kayleigh knew my voice! She still cried but was comforted by my voice. I followed Kayleigh into the nursery and watched her get her be weighed and get her first bath. I had a few minutes alone with Kayleigh at this point and this is where I felt my whole life change. Kayleigh was looking up at me and I know her life depended on me and I would be her Father forever. I knew the responsibilities and excitement that lay ahead and I had a wide range of emotions. Kayleigh grabbed my fingers and we had our moment.  It was truly a blessing to have our little girl in the world.

I am extremely proud of Lindsey and Kayleigh for both working so hard and for so long. I am thankful that both my beautiful wife and daughter are safe and healthy. I could not have done this without the support of my family and Lindsey’s family, a special thank you to all of you.

We were blessed with a great OB and family and friends who helped carry us throughout this pregnancy. Thank you for all of your prayers, thoughts, and good wishes. Thank you especially to our parents who shaped us and helped make us who we are today. A large circle of people who will love her so well surrounds Kayleigh and we cannot wait for all of you to meet her in the coming months. Lindsey and I could not be more in love with our sweet little girl. My favorite experience being home so far has been seeing our family and friends interact with Kayleigh.

 Here is to the next chapter in our lives, not only as husband and wife but also as a father and mother, comforter and role model, lover and disciplinarian. Our prayer is that God continues to give us direction, patience and many days to spend as our family.




4 comments:

  1. love. love. love!
    keep posting, the pictures are great! can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with the LOVE, LOVE, LOVE
    With that, you can't go wrong.
    I ,as well, can't wait to meet her.
    In the mean time, PLEASE KEEP POSTING PICTURES !
    Love to ALL of you
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  3. So stoked for you guys in this wonderful new journey of parenthood. It's the most amazing, stretching, joyful, and stressful thing God blesses us with. Enjoy every little moment because it FLIES BY! Next thing you know they're a year old... Much love to you guys and if you're ever in SLO County hit us up, we'd love to see you guys and catch up!

    The McNichols

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Beard is freakin' awesome, you didn't have to cover that thing up?
    Love the bottom picture of her sleeping. Very fun.

    ReplyDelete